Professor Harry Collins
Distinguished Research Professor
- +44 29208 74047
- +44 (0)29 208 74175
I am a Professor of Social Sciences and was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 2012. I have writted for over 30 years on the sociology of gravitational wave physics.
- Centre For The Study Of Knowledge Expertise and Science - (KES)
- All @ SEE - The Expertise Network hosted by Harry Collins, Rob Evans and KES
- Harry Collins's Gravitational Wave Project
Honours and awards
- 2012 - elected a Fellow of the British Academy
- 1997 - Society for Social Studies of Science, J. D. Bernal award for contributions to the social studies of science (awarded at the Tucson meeting in October 1997).
- 1995 - American Sociological Association, Robert K Merton Book Prize ( The Golem ).
- 1994/5 - Emory and Henry College Virginia, USA. Book of the year ( The Golem ).
- 1985 - British Computer Society Specialist Group in Expert Systems, Prize for technical merit: best paper at conference.
Other appointments and positions
- 2003 - Jan-Mar Andrew W Mellon Visiting Professor of History, California Institute of Technology
- 2002 - Apr/May Visiting Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin
- 2001 - Oct/Nov Visiting Research Fellow, Cornell University Dept of Science and Technology Studies
- 1999 - Affiliated Research Scholar, Dept of History and Philosophy of Science, Cambridge University
- 1993 - Mar-Jun Visiting Professor, University of California at San Diego
- 1991-1993 President, Society for Social Studies of Science Short visiting positions at Xerox PARC (1987) and Princeton University History of Science (1983)
- The nature of knowledge;
- The nature of expertise;
- Medical knowledge and practice;
- Public understanding of science;
- Artificial Intelligence;
- Humans and machines.
- The Nature of Scientific Knowledge and knowledge in general;
- Public Understanding of Science;
- The Nature of Skills and Expertise;
- Artificial Intelligence and the relationship between humans and machines;
- Medical Knowledge and Skills; Science Education;
- A long term project on the detection of cosmic gravitational radiation.