Dr Dean Stroud
I am keen to supervise research students and extend my research collaborations in the areas of skills and workforce development (across the UK and internationally), and the role of trade unions therein.
I have a particular interest in the political economy of skill and skill systems, especially in relation to the workplace and the organisation of vocational education and training. Contact is also welcomed from those interested in researching work inequalities and the greening of skills, jobs and the economy.
- PhD in Sociology of Education (School of Education, Cardiff University) Title: 'The Social Construction of Labour Markets by Students in Higher Education'.
- MSc Econ. Social Science Research Methods (School of Social and Administrative Studies, Cardiff University).
- BSc Econ. Sociology (School of Social and Administrative Studies, Cardiff University)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Proposal Assessor
- Member of DYSG Research Forum (Learning and Skills Development Agency for Wales)
- Member of DYSG Equality Network Forum (Learning and Skills Development Agency for Wales)
- An associate member of DYSG (Learning and Skills Development Agency for Wales)
- Expert Advisor – European Metalworkers' Federation Steel Select Social Dialogue Committee on Workforce Development, Recruitment and Retention
- Discussant to the ESRC Waste of the World Programme (Steel Project)
- Associate member of SKOPE
- Reviewer – Economic and Industrial Democracy
- Reviewer – Sociology
Previous academic positions
2008 – Present Lecturer (F/T) A range of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching across the fields of sociology and education; Undergraduate, Masters, PhD and Professional Doctorate dissertation supervision.
2006 – 2008 Research Associate/Project Manager (F/T) Centre Manager and researcher attached to the Regeneration Institute (RI), Cardiff University. Development of research capacity and profile of the RI. Also managing the Equality and Diversity Learning in the European Steel Industry (Leonardo Project); The Practices and Process of Workplace learning in the British Steel Industry: A Case Study (SKOPE).
2004 – 2006 Research Associate/Project Manager (80%) Equality and Diversity Learning in the European Steel Industry (Leonardo Project); Workplace Education: Exploring the efficacy of workplace learning strategies and the potential for poorly qualified employees' engagement with new learning opportunities (Nuffield) and The Practices and Process of Workplace learning in the British Steel Industry: A Case Study (SKOPE); ESRC Identities Programme: Working Class Identities of Ex-Steelworkers in Ebbw Vale – (Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University).
2001 – 2004 Research Associate (F/T) Leonardo Da Vinci funded pilot project entitled 'New Steel Industry Challenges Project' (Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University)
2001 – 2001 Research Associate (0.5) Welsh Assembly Government funded investigation entitled 'Independent Investigation on Student Hardship and Funding' (Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University)
I teach and have taught on the following modules for Cardiff School of Social Sciences:
- SIO005: Education and Society (1st Year)
- SIO124: Introduction to Social Science Research Methods (1st Year);
- SIO173: Introduction to Sociology (1st Year)
- SIO176: Contemporary Sociology of Education (2nd Year),
- SIO030: Social Research Methods (2nd Year);
- SIO158: Globalisation and Social Change (3rd Year)
- SIO151: Conflict and Change in Educational Policy (3rd Year) – Module Convenor;
- SIO220: Equality and Diversity in Education and Work (3rd Year) – Module Convenor
- SIT103: Strategies of Applied Research;
- SIT146: Restructuring industrial sectors in a global world: the European steel industry – Module Convenor;
- SIT121: Learning and working in FE and the Post Compulsory Sector;
- SIT087: Foundations of Educational Research – Module Convenor.
Undergraduate, Masters, PhD and Professional Doctorate dissertation supervision.
- Jean Pia: Labour Supply Arrangements in the Philippine Seafaring Industry
- Ralph Busier: Labour Conditions in the Open Seas: A Study of Philippine Union Dynamics
Current Prof Doctorate Supervision
- Janet Stephens: Lifelong Learning in Russell Group Universities: its demise or a bright coalition future
- UG Education Co-ordinator
- University and College Union Rep (School of Social Sciences)
- Steering Group – Centre for Global Labour Research
- Undergraduate Year Tutor
Dean Stroud is a lecturer in education at the Cardiff School of Social Sciences. The principal focus of his research is skill needs and training and workplace learning. Other areas of interest include the labour process and industrial relations, workforce reconfiguration and equality and diversity. More recently his research has focused on 'green' and sustainability issues, particularly with regard to 'green' skills and jobs and transitions from high to low carbon economies.
1.8M - WaterWatt: The Project WaterWatt “Improvement of energy efficiency in industrial water circuits using gamification for online self-assessment, benchmarking and economic decision support”, which started at 1st of April 2016, has the main objective of increasing energy efficiency in industrial water circuits. http://www.waterwatt.eu/
530K – Leonardo da Vinci Multilateral Projects: Development of Innovation Greening Technical VET - Sustainable Training Module for the European Steel Industry (2011-2013)
20K – Developing Geelong: An international study of successful economic transitions