Dr Manon Pritchard
My research has been focused on elucidating the mode of action of antibiofilm polymer therapies for the treatment of multi-drug resistant bacteria. I currently work on conventional microbiological assays, imaging and modelling (including drug screening, atomic force-, confocal and scanning electron microscopy), but also work “across the conventional boundary” of the biological and engineering sciences. In this I work with engineers and bio-informatics to utilise technologies to study the interaction of polymer therapies with bacterial surfaces and biopolymers to study how we might perturb and treat biofilm infections. This includes dynamic-light scattering, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, small angle neutron scattering and rheology. I have gained an understanding of translational research leading to a series of successful publications. I am now eager to develop my career in Nanomedicine to drive our research into further clinical trials. Currently, I examine both undergraduate and postgraduate dental students, providing seminars and lectures on microbiology.
- 2014-current: Post-doctoral research associate with an honorary clinical contract
- 2011- 2014: EU-funded KESS PhD student, Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales (GDP 0.2 fte)
- 2010-2011: Dental Foundation Year 2:
- SHO Maxillofacial Surgery on-call (Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales)
- SHO Paediatric Dentistry (Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales)
- 2009-2010: Dental Foundation Year 1 (General Dental Practitioner, 29 Park Crescent, Barry, Wales)
Education and qualification
- 2011-2014: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales
"OligoG alginate nanomedicine mediated disruption of mucin barriers and microbial biofilms"
- 2013: Member of the Faculty of Dental Surgeons (MFDS), Royal College of Edinburgh
- 2004-2009: First Class Honours, Bachelor of Dental surgery (BDS), Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales
Honours and awards
2015 Poster prize: Cardiff and Vale UHB Research and Development Conference. Cardiff, UK (1st prize awarded).
2013 Poster Prize: European Tissue Repair Society. Reims, France (1st prize awarded).
2012 Poster prize: Welsh Microbiology & Infection Translational Research Group (2nd prize awarded).
2012 Oral Presentation: Cardiff University 27th Annual Life Sciences Postgraduate Research Day. Cardiff, UK (1st prize awarded).
2012 Cesare Romano Award for Cystic Fibrosis Research (New Therapies): 35th European Cystic Fibrosis Conference. Dublin, Ireland.
2006 Freda Berg Prize in Oral Biology: School of Dentistry, Cardiff, UK.
2006 Undergraduate Scholarship for ‘Best performance in first year’: Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK.
2005 Louis Cohen Prize for Anatomy: School of Dentistry, Cardiff, UK.
- General Dental Council (GDC)
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edniburgh
- Cardiff Institute for Tissue Engineering & Repair (CITER)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- European Tissue Repair Society (ETRS)
- Welsh Dental Committee
- European Tissue Repair Society
- Welsh Dental Committee
MSc Implantology 2011-present: Lecturing, examining and marking on the cellular and molecular biology module
MSc Implantology 2015-present: Supervision of dissertation projects (3 students to date)
MSc Tissue Engineering 2015-present: Exam marking
Dental undergraduates: Seminar teaching in oral microbiology, exam marking and viva examiner
2014: Advanced Teaching Skills: Stimulating, Lively and High Yield Learning through the. Use of Interactive and Innovative Teaching Approaches: Harvard University, USA
2015 QBiotics Ltd (Co-I): £345,000
2015 Travel grant, European Cystic Fibrosis Society, Brussels: £300
2012 Small Angle Neutron Scattering experiments, ILL, Grenoble (Co-I): £19,699
2011 European Social Fund, KESS PhD Scholarship, Cardiff Univeresity: £91,000