Dr Catherine Butler
- +44(0)29 208 75971
- 2.41, John Percival Building
I joined Cardiff University in 2015, having previous worked at the University of the West of England in Bristol. My first academic interest was in Renaissance poetry but I now specialize in children's literature.
I am the author of two monographs and the editor of five academic volumes, as well as having published six novels for children and young adults. I am also associate editor of the journal Children’s Literature in Education.
I am part of the School's English Literature research theme.
Honours and awards
- Mythopoeic Scholarship Award, 2009
- Children's Literature Association
- Society of Authors
Previous academic positions
- Associate Professor, University of the West of England
- NCRCL conference, Roehampton University (2010)
- British Science Fiction Association (2010)
- Turkish Board of Education Symposium, Ankara (2010)
- Danish Cultural Institute (2012)
- Contemporary World Children and Young Adults Literature Forum, Istanbul (2012)
- Margaret Mahy Symposium, University of Cambridge (2013)
- Society of Authors (2013)
- Keynote, Taiwan Children’s Literature Research Association Symposium, Tunghai University, Taichung (2013)
- Keynote, Diana Wynne Jones Conference,University of Newcastle (2014)
- Cheltenham Festival (2014)
- Luxembourg Teachers' Day (2014)
My current teaching is primarily in children's literature, which I teach both from the point of view of academic criticism and as a branch of creative writing.
My research is centred on children’s literature, especially fantasy and historical fiction. Other research interests include:
- gender identity
- the relationship of the academy to creative authors and ‘lay’ readers
- fan fiction
I welcome informal queries from potential PhD students whose plans overlap with any of my listed interests.