Dr Pedro Faria Gomes
Lecturer in Composition
Born in Lisbon, I have taught at various music universities and conservatoires in Portugal, Hong Kong and the UK since 1999.
Over this period my work as a composer has been regularly commissioned, performed, recorded and broadcast, particularly in these three countries but also in America and all over Europe. I have been based in the UK since 2007 and I hold masters and doctoral degrees from the Royal College of Music.
More details are available on my personal website.
- Cardiff University (2015-present)
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2011-12)
- Instituto Piaget - University Campus of Almada (2004-07)
- Academia de Música de Santa Cecília (2002-07)
- Escola Profissional de Música de Almada (2001-02)
- Orquestra Metropolitana de Lisboa Conservatoire (1999-2007)
I have taught at music universities and conservatoires since 1999, in the areas of composition and music analysis.
At Cardiff University I teach Composition across the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, as well as the following modules: Fugue, Research Skills and 20th and 21st Century Music. I am the module leader for Composition 1B, Composition II, Composition III, Fugue and 20th and 21st Century Music.
As a composer I have worked with many soloists, conductors and ensembles in the UK as well as abroad.
Recent commissions include new works for the Academia de Música de Santa Cecília (Canções do Quadrante, 2015), the Portuguese National Opera/Teatro Nacional de São Carlos (ELA, 2016), the Portuguese National Ballet/Companhia Nacional de Bailado (Pinguins, 2016), the London Symphony Orchestra (Evening, 2017) and the Dryads Duo (new work for violin and piano, 2018).
A portrait CD with chamber music composed over the past ten years will be recorded in 2018 to be released and distributed by the label Naxos.
- À Memória de Anarda, Coro de Câmara Lisboa Cantat/Jorge Alves, cond. (Numérica: NUM 1159, 2008)
- À Procura de um Pinheiro, Academia de Música de Santa Cecília Chamber Ensemble and Children’s Choir/Ana Paula Rodrigues and António Gonçalves, cond. (AMSC, 2005)
- Dois Fados, João Vasco (Museu do Fado, 2010)
- Duas fantasias, António Rosa (clarinet) and António Oliveira (piano) – Projecto XXI (Compasso: IRFC.04.069, 2006)
- Elegia, Gonçalo Guedes Silva (cello) (GDA, 2012)
- Four Thai Songs, Tetvocal (Key Records: K000001, 2003)
- Nachtmusik, Richard Stoltzman (clarinet) and Mary Wu (piano) (Naxos Digital Services/The Intimacy of Creativity: IOC110501, 2012)
- Poema, Konstanze von Gutzeit (cello)/Orquestra Sinfónica do Porto Casa da Música/Alexander Shelley, cond. (Casa da Música: CDM011, 2010)
- Poema, Bruno Borralhinho (cello)/Orquestra Gulbenkian/Pedro Neves, cond. (Naxos: 8.573461, 2016)