Professor Irena Spasic
Director of Research and Deputy Head of School
I am a Professor in the School of Computer Science & Informatics at Cardiff University, where I am the Director of Research and a Deputy Head of School. I am a member of the Data & Knowledge Engineering group and the leader of the Text & Data Mining theme.
The main focus of my academic career has been to establish excellence in research related to text mining, which is the key to gaining knowledge for significant interventions and decision making in the context of big data. This makes it indispensible to other disciplines and has led to deep interdisciplinary collaboration which has been highly successful, leading to impact beyond computer science and informatics as well as developments in my home discipline. In particular, I have made contributions in areas of text classification, information extraction, term recognition and sentiment analysis.
CALL FOR PAPERS
Together with Özlem Uzuner and Li Zhou, I will be guest editing a special issue on Emerging Clinical Applications of Text Analytics. The special issue will be published by the International Journal of Medical Informatics, one of the most esteemed journals in medical informatics. I hope you will be considering a submission and share the news with your networks. Many thanks!
CMT207: Information modelling and database systems (postgraduate)
Areas of scientific interest and research include:
- Text mining: information extraction, term recognition, named entity recognition, sentiment analysis, text classification, information retrieval, language resources
- Knowledge representation: development, application & standardisation of ontologies
- Machine learning: feature engineering, case-based reasoning, naive Bayesian learning, support vector machines, genetic algorithms, genetic programming
- Information management: data modelling, data mining, relational and XML databases, user interface development
- Application areas: healthcare, life sciences, social sciences & social media
- Vigneshwaran Muralidaran (PhD, 2017-present): natural language processing, corpus linguistics
- Steven Neale (PDRA, 2016-present): natural language processing, corpus linguistics, crowdsourcing
- David Owen (RA/PhD, 2016-present): text mining, ontologies, health informatics
- Lowri Williams (PhD, 2013-present): text mining, sentiment analysis, language resources
- David Rogers (RA/PhD, 2012-present): text mining, sentiment analysis, social media
- Bathilde Ambroise (PhD, 2012-2016, submitted): text mining, genomics, bioinformatics