Professor Gillian Bristow
Dean of Research for the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Professor in Economic Geography
- +44 (0)29 2087 5388
- Room 2.69, Glamorgan Building
I am a Professor in Economic Geography with research interests in the areas of regional economic development; regional economic resilience; local and regional competitiveness; and regional policy. I have recently undertaken research into the resilience of European regions to the post-2008 economic crisis. I am currently leading an interdisciplinary Global Challenges Research Fund project exploring the resilience of groundwater systems in Nigeria.
I am also Dean of Research for the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. In this role I support the development and implementation of both the University's research and innovation strategy, and the College's research agenda. I liaise with and support College Board and Directors of Research in developing and strengthening the research culture and environment, and work to support our various research groups, centres and institutes. I also work to maintain strong relationships with our external funders and partners.
I am currently leading one of Cardiff University's flagship engagement projects - City Region Exchange - which is designed to enhance the University's engagement with the Cardiff Capital Region.
- Managing Editor Regions and Cities Book Series (Routledge / Regional Studies Association).
- Deputy Chair and Board Member of Regional Studies Association Board.
- Editor, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy.
- BA (Hons) First Class: Economics, Cardiff University (1991)
- PhD, Cardiff University (1995)
- University of Wales Junior Research Fellow, Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University (1995 - 1997)
- Research Associate, Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University (1997-2000)
- Lecturer in Economics, Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University (2000 - 2001)