Dr Julie Albon
Telephone:+44 (0)29 2087 5427
Fax:+44 (0)29 2087 4859
Location:Room 2.29, Maindy Road
My research focuses on investigating the human optic nerve head, in particular the lamina cribrosa and its insertion region into the sclera, with an overall aim to i) understand how ONH structure and connective tissue micro- and nano-organisation influences a) its biomechanics and b) its susceptibility to the development of glaucomatous optic neuropathy. In the Optic Nerve Head Group, we use a number in ex vivo and in vivo techniques to analyse the cells and connective tissue (collagen, elastin and proteoglycans) and overall architecture of the 3D optic nerve head (non-linear microscopy, xray microtomography, OCT) alters in ageing and glaucoma. In addition, we are investigating the regional micro- and nano-organisation of connective tissue fibres, collagen and elastin (SAXS, SALS, second harmonic imaging, two photon excited fluorescence) in the ONH, and how they influence the biomechanical behaviour of the human ONH.
• Module leader for OP1205 Cells to System for first year undergraduates in the BSc Optometry and Vision Sciences
• Lecturer for OP1205 (lectures, laboratory practical sessions and tutorials)
• Lecturer in Working safely in Cardiff University course to OPTOM postgraduates
• Lecturer in COSHH course to OPTOM postgraduates
• Lecturer in postgraduate MSc Clinical Optometry.
• Supervisor of third year BSc research project students
• Supervisor of Erasmus postgraduate students’ MSc/research projects for University of Riga, Latvia.