GW4 data intensive workshop
18 July 2017
On 5 June, we hosted a workshop exploring challenges and opportunities in data intensive research for the GW4 Alliance.
Data intensive research underpins many aspects of research carried out by the universities of the GW4 Alliance.
There are significant strengths and expertise across the institutions, offering great opportunities for collaboration. The workshops aimed to develop a more coherent research community in data science and related disciplines across the South West and South Wales region.
Each event highlighted the areas of research interest in each institution and included an afternoon dedicated to focus themes:
- University of Bath - creative economy
- University of Exeter - the environment
- Cardiff University - government and social sciences (see presentation slides below)
- University of Bristol - medicine and bioinformatics.
Download the presentations from the Cardiff University event:
Famous for five minutes
- Adams - Bath
- Barnaby - Bath
- Bessudnov - Cardiff
- Browne - Bristol
- Cioroiauni - Exeter
- Gillard - Cardiff
- Leckie - Bristol
- Orford - Cardiff
- Parker - Bristol
- Powell- Bristol
- Room - Bath
- Sloan - Cardiff
- Thomas - Cardiff
- Wei - Bath
Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- Peter Fullterton - ONS introduction
- Alex Noyvirt - DSC projects
- Owen Abbott - Data science in official statistics
- Peter Fullerton - Data science campus overview