Reflecting on a ‘momentous year’
16 March 2017
Our achievements and milestones from last year have today (16 March 2017) been published in the Annual Review.
Detailing progress on the University’s strategy, The Way Forward, the Review was presented to the annual meeting of University Court by Vice-Chancellor, Professor Colin Riordan.
Professor Riordan said: “2016 was a momentous year, not just for Cardiff University but in the history of this country...”
In spite of 2016’s turbulent political events, the Review details the notable successes enjoyed by the University including:
- The opening of our £44m Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre (CUBRIC) by Her Majesty The Queen
- The signing of our second major international strategic partnership, with Xiamen University
- The go-ahead for the Innovation Campus and the Centre for Student Life - our biggest campus upgrade for a generation
- Becoming the first Welsh University to receive the honour of Regius Professorship awarded to the School of Chemistry
- Witnessing the “true beginning” of gravitational wave astronomy through the work of a team of experts from the School of Physics and Astronomy
- Deliveringlife-saving trauma packs to treat the victims of road traffic collisions in developing countries through the Phoenix Project.
Read the Annual Review in full here:
University Court meets annually to receive the University’s Financial Statements and the Annual Review.
This year, Court also heard that Professor Sir Martin Evans, FRS and Nobel prize winner is to step down as Chancellor of Cardiff University, following eight years in the role.