Reflecting on the University year
9 June 2016
The University's achievements and milestones in 2015 have been recorded in its Annual Review which is published today (9 June 2016).
Detailing progress on the University’s strategy, The Way Forward, the Review was presented to the annual meeting of University Court by Vice-Chancellor, Professor Colin Riordan.
Notable achievements during 2015, which are detailed in the Review, include:
- The award of the University’s sixth Queen’s Anniversary Prize for the work of the MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics.
- The launch of five new flagship University Research Institutes which aim to develop cures for major chronic disease, reduce crime and increase security, harness ‘Big Data’ to tackle real-world problems, develop wiser methods of water use, and support the development of smarter energy systems.
- The University’s highest ever level of overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey with 90% of students saying they were satisfied with their overall experience.
- A £17.3m award from the UK Government that will put the University at the cutting edge of semiconductor technology.
- A historic agreement between the University and Beijing Normal University which will see students of the new Cardiff-Beijing Chinese Studies Joint College follow a collaboratively developed curriculum in Chinese Language and Cultural Studies leading to a dual undergraduate award by both universities.
- The Phoenix Project which is using University expertise in collaboration with the University of Namibia (UNAM) to provide the country's first specialist anaesthesia training.
Professor Riordan said: “2015 could not have started any better for Cardiff University, following the outstanding outcome of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), which put us in the top 5 UK universities for the quality of our research. This superlative achievement set the tone for what proved to be a year of significant and sustained progress in each of our key areas of activity.”
University Court meets annually to receive the University’s Financial Statements and Annual Review.
Read the Annual Review in full here.