Police registration

Depending on which country you are from, you may need to register with the Police here in the UK.

You will need to register within seven days of your arrival in the UK if it states this:

  • on your entry clearance vignette (visa) or
  • as a remark on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or
  • on your Home Office decision letter.

The immigration rules state that a condition of your entry and stay in the UK is that you register with the Police, so it is essential that you do so as soon as possible.

You must contact our International Office if these documents do not state that you need to register with the Police, but you are from one of the following countries:

Argentina IsraelRussia
Armenia JordanSaudi Arabia
CubaNorth KoreaUkraine
GeorgiaPalestine Yemen

If your husband, wife or child entered the UK as your dependant, they will also have to register with the police within seven days of their arrival in the UK.

Book an appointment

You must book an appointment to register with the Police. Registration takes place every Wednesday at International Student Support (3rd Floor, Students Union Building).

You must book an appointment in advance by using the on-line booking system.

Required documents

If you are registering with the police for the first time you will need to bring:

  • your passport and BRP card/letter
  • two passport-sized photographs
  • your student ID card
  • registration fee of £34 (if you are a student sponsored by the British Council you will have this fee-refunded)
  • a completed Police Registration Questionnaire, provided for you by Cardiff University (see related documents)
  • Police Registration Questionnaire Guidance Notes (see related documents).

Please come to your appointment with all the above items. If you don’t have all the documents the Police cannot issue a Registration certificate.

If you have previously registered

If you have previously studied in the UK and already have a Police Registration Certificate you will need to renew your Police Registration Certificate in Cardiff if you have any of the following changes to your circumstances (see table below).

You will need to take your passport and the original Police Registration Certificate with you to your Police appointment.

What’s changed?What documents/evidence required?
Change of addressIf you are in a University residence, you will need your Residences Card.
If you are in private accommodation, you will need your tenancy agreement, accommodation contract, or gas/electric/water bill that shows your new address.
Change of universityCardiff University student ID card or a print out of your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) email from Cardiff University
Change of marital statusMarriage certificate, or Divorce certificate
Extension to visa granted by UKVIBiometric card and Passport
Change of passportNew passport

If you lose your Police Registration Certificate

If you lose your certificate, you will need to re-register with the Police as if you were a new student arriving in the UK for the first time.

Renewal of a certificate is free. There will be a £34 charge if you have lost and need to replace your Police Registration Certificate.

Simply book an appointment to re-register.