Personal safety and security
The majority of our students enjoy a positive and rewarding experience during their stay in Cardiff, but like all cities you have to be sensible.
The suggestions that follow are intended to advise, not to alarm. Much of the advice is common sense, but it can make a real difference.
If you go out alone at night make sure someone knows where you are going.
- When you go out in a group at night stay with them; there is safety in numbers.
- Keep to public routes that are well lit at night. Don’t take risky alternative dark routes even if you are in a hurry.
- Carry a personal safety alarm. These are available at discounted prices from the University Security Centre.
- If using a taxi, use a recognised taxi rank or try and pre-book with a reputable taxi firm.
- If traveling alone in a taxi, always sit in the rear seat behind the driver.
Our Security Centre provides 24 hour security cover for the University campus and halls of residence. A comprehensive CCTV camera system operates throughout the University campus, including some of the large residential sites. The cameras are used to direct security staff to incidents, and the Centre works in close liaison with the police.
If you have any personal safety concerns, require some security advice, or wish to report a crime, contact:
Security Control Room
- Telephone:+44 (0)29 2087 4444