Extending a visa

If you already have a Tier 4 student visa and you want to extend to continue your studies, the International Student Team can help you with this process.

If you're in the UK on a non-student visa

There are a limited number of visa categories which enable international students to study in the UK other than Tier 4 or Student Visitor.

If you currently hold a visa in a different category and would like to know whether it's suitable for study, please email International Student Support or phone them on +44 (0)29 2087 4844.

If you already have a student visa for the UK

If you already hold a student visa for the UK, are currently based in the UK and don't have a Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa, then you must apply for a new Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study here.

If you want to leave your current course prior to completion, then you must make your application from outside the UK. You can find more information on the GOV.UK website.

Help with your application

If you're currently in the UK, we recommend that you contact International Student Support to assist you with your visa application as our staff:

  • have in-depth immigration knowledge
  • can assist and guide you through the process
  • can track the progress of your application
  • can verify that your application has been submitted to the UK Border Agency, which will assist you during the enrolment process.

You should start the application procedure immediately. You can contact International Student Support by email or by phoning +44 (0)29 2087 4844.

Applying independently

You can apply for your visa independently, however, we recommend that you email International Student Support who have the expertise to assist you.

Applying from home on your summer holidays

Many students will be using the summer vacation period as an opportunity to travel home to see family and friends.

This is also a perfect opportunity to apply for your Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa at a reduced price of £328.

Enrolling without a new Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa

The UK immigration rules will not allow us to enrol you until you can provide evidence that you have a valid Cardiff University Tier 4 Student Visa or you have submitted an application to the UK Visas and Immigration.

Your visa will be checked by University staff when you enrol here and when you collect your student ID card. If you do not have a visa that allows you to study, you won't be able to start your studies. The Embassy will issue you with a 30-day visa vignette. Provided you selected the University as your alternative collection location on your visa application, you will collect your Biometrics Residence Permit from the University during your enrolment.