Deducting fee payments

Find out how to make deductions from the total amount of money you need to show for your Tier 4 student visa.

You can deduct the following from the total amount of money you need:

  • The amount you have paid towards course fees and
  • Up to a maximum of £1,265 paid towards your future University residences fees.

Residence fee deductions

Please note that it is not necessary to pay any residences fees (except for the £200 postgraduate deposit) until you arrive in Cardiff.

You cannot deduct anything for accommodation fees if you have arranged the accommodation yourself (in other words, private accommodation that is not part of Cardiff University).

Tuition fee deductions

If you pay all or some of your tuition fees to our Finance Office before you receive your Confirmation  of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) email, then the amount you have paid for your tuition fees will be notified directly to the UKVI and recorded in this CAS email.

Please note that any payments made by bank transfer can take around ten working days to appear in our account, so it won't be immediately confirmed within the CAS statement.

Proving you've already paid

We do not recommend you pay any fees between receiving your CAS email and applying for your visa. If you would do so, you must request that your CAS statement is updated. Please note that this could result in a delay of two weeks or more.

If any money you have paid for tuition fees or University residences fees is not shown on the CAS email, then you must provide original paper receipts from the University when you submit your student visa application. Online receipts are not acceptable and will be ignored by the immigration officer.