We link expertise in neuroscience and mental health across the University.
The Research Institute is a joint collaboration within the College of Biomedical and Life Sciences between the Schools of:
The Research Institute also collaborate with the following partners to help support existing discovery and translational research leading to greater understanding of mental illness.
- MRC Centre for Neuropathic Genetics and Genomics
- National Centre for Mental Health
- Brain Repair and Intracranial Neurotherapeutics
- Brain Research Imaging Centre (CUBRIC)
- Experimental MRI Centre (EMRIC)
Additional collaborations with other Schools, Institutes and Centres are welcomed.
The Research Institute will build on and develop further the work of the virtual Cardiff Neurosciences Centre helping to encourage networking, facilitate new ideas and helps promote interdisciplinary research across all neuroscience.
Key funding allows us to support our planned programmes of research, training and the purchase of much needed new equipment. We work alongside partners including:
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- The Wellcome Trust
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- The Royal Society
- The National Assembly for Wales
- Welsh Assembly Government
- Action Medical Research
- The Severnside Alliance for Translational Research (SARTRE)
- European Union
We will also work with external companies including:
- GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Ltd
- Astrazeneca UK Ltd
- Brucker Biospin Ltd
- Cambridge Cognition
- Pfizer Ltd
- European Commission
- Thermofisher Scientific
We will continue to develop neuroscience links with other UK universities, in particular through their neuroscience research centres: