Contemporary Music Group
The Contemporary Music Group has a flexible make-up and specialises in contemporary repertoire.
In recent years it has given concerts across a broad range of themes including:
- contemporary Polish music
- a 70th-birthday tribute to the American composer Steve Reich
- works by living female composers
- the 100th-birthday of American composer Elliott Carter
- contemporary African music
- the 100th-anniversary of the birth of Oliver Messiaen.
The group also devotes its final concert each year to showcasing new works by undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Auditions are held for places in the group and students come from all subjects at the University.
- 7 December 2015, Welsh Voices 2 - continuing our two-year exploration of music by living Welsh composers.
- 1 March 2016, British Voices 3 - exploring both solo and ensemble music, and works with and without instrumental accompaniment
- 26 April 2016, end-of-year showcase - the latest works by undergraduate and postgraduate composers from the School
Upcoming workshop projects:
- 7 November 2015, La Monte Young at 80
- 6 February 2016 - exploring music by composers who are part of our postgraduate research community
Director: Dr Robert Fokkens
Dr Fokkens is a South African composer based in the UK. He teaches composition for both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at the School of Music.
His music is regularly performed in major venues in the UK, South Africa, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, Australia, the USA and Japan. It has been broadcast on BBC Radio 3, Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio, Swedish Radio P2 and various South African radio stations.
In addition to a significant body of chamber music and music for large ensembles and orchestra, he writes frequently for the voice, both in concert and dramatic contexts.