Ninth Biennial Conference on Music in Nineteenth-Century Britain, Cardiff University, 24-27 June 2013
We are pleased to invite you to attend the Ninth Biennial International Conference on Music in Nineteenth-Century Britain to be held in association with the Royal Philharmonic Society and Royal Musical Association at Cardiff University School of Music from 24 June (1.15pm) until 27 June 2013 (3.45pm).
About the Music in Nineteenth-Century Britain conference (MNCB)
The MNCB conference has been a crucial gathering point for scholars from a wide range of disciplines since it was founded at the University of Hull in 1997. It will soon be celebrating its 10th birthday.
Visit our About the MNCB Conference webpage for more information on its contribution to musical scholarship.
Our keynote speakers will be Professor Simon Goldhill (Director, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, Cambridge University) and Dr Leanne Langley (Associate Fellow, Institute of Musical Research, University of London). Dr Langley’s lecture and the preceding reception are kindly supported by the Royal Philharmonic Society in celebration of the founding of the Philharmonic Society 200 years ago.
Biographies of keynote speakers
In addition to panels on a variety of topics associated with musical life in Britain in the long nineteenth century the conference will also feature:
- a recital of nineteenth- and early twentieth-century British piano music by Professor Kenneth Hamilton (Cardiff University)
- a performance of The Boots Story: A Dickens Entertainment, adapted by Christine Kyprianides and featuring Leon Conrad (narrator), Greg Tassell (tenor), and Gary Branch (piano)
- a group-singing session from John Hugh Thomas (Cardiff University)
- a talk by Professor Trevor Herbert (Open University) on Musical Life at Cyfarthfa Castle in the Nineteenth Century, followed by a tour
- a presentation on Cardiff University’s Aylward collection from Loukia Drosopoulou (Cardiff University)
- an exhibition of printed editions of music from Cardiff University’s Special Collections and Archives (SCOLAR)
- book and journal exhibitions from Ashgate Publishing, Boydell & Brewer, and Cambridge University Press
- A conference dinner at Park House, Park Place, built by the Marquess of Bute in 1874
- Draft conference programme (may be updated)
- Conference booking form
- Menu for Conference Dinner (Park House, Park Place)
- List of hotels (including discounted rates for delegates)
- How to get to Cardiff University School of Music
- Information about Cardiff University and the School of Music
- General tourist information
- Conference listing on Lanyrd, the social conference directory
Prof. Rachel Cowgill (Cardiff University, Chair)
Dr Christina Bashford (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
Prof. Trevor Herbert (Open University)
Prof. Charles McGuire (Oberlin College & Conservatory; NABMSA)
Dr Rachel Milestone (Rose Bruford College)
Dr Aidan Thomson (Queen’s University Belfast)
For further enquiries, please contact the conference chair, Rachel Cowgill