Cardiff University has one of the longest traditions in the UK (after Oxford and Cambridge) of offering opportunities to study music. Initially, this consisted of a two-year 'elementary course in theory' (1883). In 1910, the discipline was recognised by the establishment of the Chair in Music. Under the leadership of several composers, the curriculum expanded greatly. In 1946 Professor Joseph Morgan (1939-67) persuaded Cardiff to become the first British university to appoint a resident ensemble as part of its academic staff.
For almost 90 years, music was taught in the Main University buildings. Professor Alun Hoddinott (1967-87) was even more persuasive than Joseph Morgan and, thanks to his efforts, students and staff moved into the first purpose-built music facilities in a UK university. The opening ceremony was performed by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh on 21 May 1971.
The School of Music has since greatly expanded its student intake and complement of staff. Its recently refurbished Music Library is one of the best UK university resources for music books, journals, scores, recordings and archival materials.
Past members of staff distinguished by their publications or compositions include Malcolm Boyd, Professor Alun Hoddinott, Professor H.C. Robbins Landon, Professor Michael Robinson, Professor Arnold Whittall and Professor Peter Williams.
Honorary Fellows of the University include Sir Nicholas Kenyon, Sir Charles Mackerras, Dennis O'Neill, Ingrid Surgenor and Karl Jenkins.
Music performances also have a long and proud history at Cardiff University. This photo gallery displays some concert programmes and brochures from 1911 onwards! Click on the slideshow to go through to our Flickr gallery if you wish to see any of the images in more detail.