The MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics (MRC CNGG) brings together world-leading researchers to investigate the major causes of mental health problems.
Established in 2009, we are Wales' first MRC Centre and the largest psychiatric genetics group in the UK. We bring together clinical, genomic, statistical and bioinformatic expertise to tackle the challenges posed by psychiatric, neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative disorders.
Our main objectives are to better understand how these disorders arise, to develop new approaches to diagnosis and to identify novel treatment targets. Ultimately, we aim to become a leading centre of translational neuroscience.
Our work focuses on the entire lifespan from childhood to old age, and across the boundaries of diagnoses. Our three primary research themes are:
We also work in four additional areas that cut across these themes:
- Neuropsychiatric imaging
- Biostatistics and bioinformatics
- Genetic models
- National Centre for Mental Health
The Centre is lead by Professor Sir Mike Owen, one of the world's foremost experts in psychiatric genetics.
Along with the work of our colleagues at the School of Psychology and the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute (NMHRI), our research in Psychiatry and Neuroscience was ranked 2nd in the UK by REF 2014.
- Royal College Psychiatrists' Presidents Medal for contribution to policy, public knowledge, education and meeting population and patient care needs (Professor Anita Thapar, 2015)
- Ruane Prize for Outstanding Child & Adolescent Psychiatric Research (Professor Anita Thapar, 2014)
- Academic Psychiatrist of the Year, Royal College of Psychiatry Awards (Professor Ian Jones, 2013)
- William K Warren Distinguished Research Award (Professor Sir Mike Owen and Professor Mick O'Donovan, 2013)
- Sidney R. Baer Prize for Innovative Schizophrenia Research (Dr James Walters, 2012)
- Lieber Prize (Professor Mick O'Donovan and Professor Sir Mike Owen, 2012)
- Stromgren Medal for Psychiatric Research (Professor Sir Mike Owen, 2012)