Before the exam:
- Make sure you have everything you need for the exam. For example:
- Is the exam open-book?
- Calculator (if permitted), Pen (that works), pencil, ruler etc.
- Donít panic! Try to relax and stay positive.
During the exam:
- Give yourself a short amount of time at the beginning to read through the exam paper and start with whichever questions you are most confident with.
- Set out your answers clearly and logically.
- This helps minimise any silly mistakes, which can lead to bigger mistakes.
- It also makes it easier for the examiner to mark!
- If you do come unstuck in a question
- Do not cross it out and start again. Leave it and move on to your next question. You can always come back to it at the end if you have time.
- Try briefly explaining your work, but do not waste your time waffling.
- If you have time at the end of the exam, go back and check your answers. Do not be put off by other students who leave the venue early.
Why not check out our other study skills guides:
- Reading Skills for Maths
- Writing Skills for Maths
- Problem Solving Skills for Maths
- Revision Skills for Maths