Aims of the Service
The Maths Support Service has been designed to provide supplementary support to all Schools across the University, in addition to their current teaching. The service is open to all students of Cardiff University but the initial focus will be on supporting preliminary and first year students.
In particular, the aims of the Maths Support Service are:
- To promote the service among all current students, prospective students and staff.
- To create a relaxed environment where students are encouraged to discuss any of their mathematical problems.
- To assist students to develop a sound basis in the mathematical skills necessary to succeed in their particular subject areas.
- To work closely with individual Schools to improve the subject specific resources available (including assistance in subject specific tutorials if required).
- To monitor the provision of Maths Support across UK institutions, endeavour to apply examples of good practice and develop innovative approaches to further enhance the service.
It should also be noted that:
- The service is not intended to be used a replacement for, or alternative to, any teaching provided by individual departments.
- It is not intended for the facility to be used as a mathematical/statistical consultancy.