Detailed information regarding the eligibility can be found in the RTN (Research Training Network) handbook. They can be summarized as:
Definition of Early-Stage Researchers (ESR): Early-Stage Researchers are sometimes called pre-doc.
· Researchers in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of their research activity, including the period of research training, since gaining a university (or equivalent institution of higher education) degree giving access to doctoral studies in the country in which the degree was obtained (the degree must entitle the holder to embark on doctoral studies, without having to acquire any further qualifications) and who have not yet obtained a doctoral degree.
Definition of Experienced Researchers (ER): Experienced Researchers are sometimes called post-doc.
· Researchers having at least 4 but no more than 10 years of research experience (full-time equivalent) since gaining a university degree giving them access to doctoral studies (the degree must entitle the holder to embark on doctoral studies, without having to acquire any further qualifications) in the country in which the degree was obtained or already in possession of a doctoral degree, independently of the time taken to acquire it.
Nationality and mobility conditions must be satisfied:
· Researchers must be nationals of a state other than that of the host organisation. At the start of their fellowship, they must not have resided or carried out their activity in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the start date.
· An exception to the above rule can be
granted for nationals of Member States of the European Union, or of Associated
States, if they have been active in research in a Third Country (i.e. neither a
Member nor an
· In the case of a national holding more than one nationality, he/she will be able to carry out a period of mobility in the country of his /her nationality in which he/she has not resided during the previous 5 years.
· Third Country researchers who have legally resided and have carried out their activity in Member or Associated States for at least 4 of the 5 years immediately prior to the start of the fellowship are treated as nationals of the Member/Associated State in which they have resided the longest.
· Third Country researchers based outside the Member States may be eligible for a position in the network, provided this position is not located in a Third Country. An upper bound of 30% of the total number of researcher-months funded by the network may limit the opportunities offered to Third Country researchers.
· Member States: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
· Associated States:
· Third States: all other countries
These summaries are given for guidance only. The precise rules are as laid down in the RTN handbook.