Walk-in access to electronic resources
Members of the public and visiting staff and students can access a selection of our electronic resources by registering for the 'walk-in access to electronic resources' service.
This service is available on dedicated terminals in the following libraries:
- Archie Cochrane
- Arts and Social Studies
- Brian Cooke Dental Library
- Cancer Research Wales Library
Register for walk-in access
You must register at one of the participating libraries each time you use the service. To register, please bring one of the following forms of suitable identification:
- current Cardiff University associate library card
- passport/EU national identity card
- UK driver's licence
- current credit or debit card
- utility bill
- benefit card or book
- bank or credit card statement
- NUS or student ID card.
This service operates on a first-come, first-served basis. On the day you plan to visit, we recommend you telephone one of the participating libraries to check availability.
Access the electronic resources
When you have registered you will be provided with a walk-in access to electronic resources card for the duration of your visit:
- insert this card into the dedicated computer terminal to gain access to the service (library staff will show you where these computer terminals are located)
- you should then be able to see the Welcome page
- click on the Resources tab to access all the resources available.
Please note that you can only search content within individual resources, not the service as a whole.
- to use this service you must comply with the copyright regulations and our terms and conditions
- you may only access eResources from one of the dedicated computer terminals in the libraries participating in this service
- you can search within each resource, but we do not subscribe to all content in each resource
- access to particular resources, or access to the service as a whole may be withdrawn at any time.
You may not:
- use the service for commercial or business purposes
- email or save any search results or articles
- access any sites, software or applications (such as Microsoft Office or email) outside this service from this terminal.
Available electronic resources
We offer walk-in access to the following resources for members of the public and visiting staff and students:
- 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection of Newspapers
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers (Parts 1 and 2)
- 19th Century UK Periodicals (Part 1)
- Annual Reviews
- BIOSIS Citation Index (1926-2016)
- British Medical Journal (BMJ)
- Daily Mirror Digital Archive
- Cambridge University Press
- Early English Books Online (EEBO)
- EBSCOhost (available databases: Art & Architecture, Business Source Premier, CINAHL Plus, Communication Abstracts, GreenFILE, Historical Abstracts, Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts, MEDLINE, Music Index, Regional Business News, RILM Abstracts of Music Literature)
- European Sources Online
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers
- Literature Online (LION)
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Oxford Journals (Oxford University Press)
- Oxford Music Online
- Oxford Reference
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- ProQuest (available databases: ABI/INFORM Global, Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts, Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, British Humanities Index, British Nursing Index, British Periodicals, Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive, ERIC, International Bibliography of the Social Sciences, Linguistics and Language Behaviour Abstracts, MLA International Bibliography, Periodicals Archive Online, PILOTS: Published International Literature On Traumatic Stress, ProQuest Dissertations and Theses: UK and Ireland, Social Services Abstracts, Sociological Abstracts)
- Royal Society of Chemistry Journals
- The Times Digital Archive
- Web of Science
- Wiley Online Library.