2nd Year English BA Student
- I’m Rach Ware, a second year English Lit student from Cardiff, and I hope to become a teacher in the future.
- For this reason, I find student tutoring extremely enjoyable and rewarding.
- Being part of the project also allows me to start saving, in the hope to travel with World Wide Volunteering in 2016.
- When I’m not reading, I enjoy swimming, going to the cinema and attempting to cook!
Where I tutor
Last year I tutored at Riverside Homework Club, helping GCSE and A-Level students, and this year I have transferred to Adamsdown Homework club tutoring the same age group. Since being involved I’ve found the project immensely satisfying, as I have felt I am really able to help and support those pupils who attend. Furthermore, every session re-affirms my passion to become a teacher, whilst giving me fantastic experience for the future and expanding my skillset.
My favourite memory from the Student Tutor Project
Every session of tutoring, although sometimes challenging, is an extreme pleasure. In particular, I enjoy tutoring English and Welsh. Obviously, I find having done English Literature at A-Level and actively studying it now, extremely useful when tutoring, and really enjoy seeing pupils improve their work and understanding with my help. Moreover, being Welsh and studying the language at school, I find I can assist with Welsh comprehensive and verbal assessments, and really enjoy practicing myself!
What I’ve gained from the project
- improved my inter-personal, and problem solving skills
- increased my ability to empathise
- learnt how to act on initiative
- been able to re-establish my love for teaching, and
- Feel confident that I am giving something back to my community