Back to: Statistics
Introduction to R - The Open Source Statistical Package
- Introduction to R: The Open Source Statistical Package
If this course isn't quite what you're looking for, or you have any further questions, the following pages may be of use:
This one day course will provide participants with an overview of R, an open source, freely available, statistical package. As a powerful data management and analysis tool, knowledge of R enables users to effortlessly organise and conduct analyses on large quantities of data.
Who is it for?
This is a valuable course for any participant who may find themselves needing to deal with data manipulation and statistical analysis. The course is aimed at those with little to no programming experience – knowledge of R is not required. It does not intend to teach statistical theory, only the commands and knowledge needed to implement such techniques within the R software environment; therefore, participants with any level of statistical background are encouraged. This course will provide a thorough introduction into the basic core of the R system and upon completion will enable participants to independently perform data manipulation and simple statistical analyses.
What will I learn?
- How to access and operate the statistical software package, R
- Basic understanding of programming
- Data handling – importing, manipulating, exporting and storing
- Common and useful R commands, including simple functions
- How to write files of code (known as scripts) to be able to perform functions
What will it cover?
- Introduction to R and the uses of the software package
- General theoretical understanding of how R manages data
- Conducting basic statistical tests and the relevant commands
- Step-by-step instructions for discussed analyses and operations
- Practical examples and exercise sessions
Benefits of attending:
- Obtain a thorough introduction into the basic core of the R system
- Gain experience conducting simple statistical analyses on various datasets
- Gain confidence in utilising R for individual specific needs
- Realise the potential of open source statistical software in data management
- Provides a basis for more advanced future statistical programming