Assessing and Managing Medical Risk for Insurers:
Course 1 - Cardiology, Diabetes, Neurology and Mental Health
- Course 1 - Cardiology, Diabetes, Neurology and Mental Health
Previous participants have noted:
- A huge decrease in CMO referrals per month, resulting in significant cost savings;
- A reduction in errors and improved quality in decisions;
- Quicker decision making, thus improved customer service;
- Increased delegate confidence;
- Increased confidence from reinsurers, allowing more favourable terms to be negotiated;
- Improved knowledge being passed on to other staff
If this course isn't quite what you're looking for, or you have any further questions, the following pages may be of use:
To provide delegates with knowledge and understanding about a range of medical conditions frequently encountered in medical underwriting and claims, and to improve and facilitate their risk assessing performance for these key medical conditions.
This course is recommended for Underwriters and Claims Assessors across all Life and Health insurance product lines, with at least 3 years experience.
- How adults learn
- General introduction and overview of medical investigations
- Cardiovascular system
- Neurological system
- Introduction to psychiatry and classification of mental health problems
- Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act
Face to face:
- Clinical presentation, aetiology, underlying pathology, diagnosis and treatment of the following conditions:
- The heartbeat and cardiac arrthymias
- Atherosclerosis & Ischaemic heart disease
- Atherosclerosis and Stroke Movement disorders including Parkinson’s Disease and Huntingdon’s Disease
- Demyelination Disorders using Multiple Sclerosis as an example
- Neurodegenerative disorders using Motor Neurone disease as an example
- Diabetes Type I & Type II
- The role of insulin in humans
- Obesity & diabetes
- Metabolic Syndrome
- History taking and symptoms and signs in mental health disorders
- Organic mental health disorders
- Overview of treatment of (organic) mental health disorders
- Stress & Common Health Problems – brief overview of personality disorders
The course adopts a blended learning approach, consisting of:
- Around 15-20 hours of online study
- 2 face to face days of intensive presentations and workshops.
Online materials will be available for the delegate to use 6 weeks prior to the face to face sessions. This will include presentations, videos, reading, interactive sessions and case studies.
Delivered by practicing clinicians and experts in their field, the face to face days will be highly practical. Real life examples and industry case studies will be used to aid discussions focussed on underwriting and claims, covering all lines of business including life, critical illness and income protection.
Participants will be invited to submit potential case studies for inclusion in the workshops, and to let us know of specific products they would like to be covered.
This programme (event/module) can be included as part of your CII CPD requirement should you consider it relevant to your professional development needs.
Participants booking on to two or more Assessing and Managing Medical Risk for Insurers courses at the same time will receive a 10% discount