Mindfulness in Counselling
Level 1 (CQFW Level 4), 10 Credits.
- No upcoming courses.
Get the latest updates on our courses
Please use our subscription page to register your interest, and we will keep you updated on all relevant information and news about subjects you have chosen.
Self-awareness and ‘core’ essential qualities are central to the establishment of positive therapeutic relationships. Mindfulness develops awareness of present experience accompanied with an attitude of acceptance. We will explore Mindfulness in Counselling in these ways as well as contributions toward stress management and depression.
Who is this course for?
Useful for anyone who has completed Basic Counselling Skills I and/or II, those working in related healthcare fields, and those with a personal interest.
Learning and Teaching
- Introduction to the course and its aims/ assessment
- Introduction to Mindfulness
- Mindfulness as an approach to life
- Developing a personal practice
- The Role of Mindfulness in Listening and Attending Skills
- Overlaps with Mindfulness and the Core Conditions
- Mindfulness for Pain Management
- Mindfulness for Depression
- Mindfulness for Stress/Anxiety
- Continuing to live Mindfully/Future steps
Classes will be divided between theory and practical content.
Coursework and Assessment
To award credits we need to have evidence of the knowledge and skills you have gained or improved. Some of this has to be in a form that can be shown to external examiners so that we can be absolutely sure that standards are met across all courses and subjects.
Assessment for this course:
A Reflective Journal
The most important element of assessment is that it should enhance your learning. Our methods are designed to increase your confidence and we try very hard to devise ways of assessing you that are enjoyable and suitable for adults with busy lives.
- Mindfulness in Plain English Ven. Henepola Gunaratana
- The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness, Williams, M., Teasdale, J, Segal Z., Kabat-Zinn, J.
- The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life, Orsillo, S.M., Roemer, L
- Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation, Rosenberg, L.
Library and Computing Facilities
As a student on this course you are entitled to join and use the University library and computing facilities. You can find out more about these facilities on our website www.cardiff.ac.uk/learn under Student Information, or by ringing the Centre on
(029) 2087 0000.
Accessibility of Courses
Our aim is access for all. We aim to provide a confidential advice and support service for any student with a long term medical condition, disability or specific learning difficulty. We are able to offer one-to-one advice about disability, pre-enrolment visits, liaison with tutors and co-ordinating lecturers, material in alternative formats, arrangements for accessible courses, assessment arrangements, loan equipment and Dyslexia screening. Please contact the Centre on (029) 2087 0000 for an information leaflet.
A range of further information can be found on our web site www.cardiff.ac.uk/learn or in Choices. This includes the times and dates of courses and an explanation of accreditation and credit levels.