Why Study the Pathway?
Here are 10 reasons why the Pathway to a Degree in Translation is for you:
- Completion of the pathway guarantees you an interview for a degree in Translation in Cardiff University’s School of European Languages, Translation and Politics.
- It is designed to support and fit around adult learners with busy lives, with modules taught at evenings, weekends and lunchtimes. It would normally take two years to complete but there may be opportunities to finish it more quickly. You can also take up to three years if you need to.
- It has been put together to meet the needs of the working world, allowing you to develop commercially valuable linguistic skills. According to a 2011 CBI survey, 73% of businesses require employees who speak a foreign language and yet more than one third of these employers are forced to recruit from overseas.
- You will learn about the cultures of other countries as well as the languages spoken there.
- It allows you to develop your skills in two languages and offers you four different languages to choose from (French, German, Italian and Spanish).
- You will be taught by expert tutors who have huge experience of developing language skills in adults and are dedicated to helping you to succeed. They will not only focus on your languages but will also equip you with the skills that you need to study in Higher Education.
- If you are accepted onto a degree you will be eligible for ‘advance standing’ of 60 credits – in other words you’ll already have completed half the credits required for Year 1 of your degree.
- The pathway has its own coordinator who is there to offer advice and guidance on all aspects of your studies and support you throughout your journey onto a degree.
- It offers an affordable route into Higher Education. You only have to sign up and pay for one module at a time and you have the option of splitting the cost into two instalments.
- Financial help is available through different schemes (fee waivers, bursaries and concessionary fees).