Terms & Conditions
Access to and use of this site (‘www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone’) is provided by Cardiff University subject to the following terms:
1. By using www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone you agree to be legally bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all the following terms please do not access and/or use www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone.
2. Cardiff University may change these terms at any time through changes posted to the site AND written notification to the members of the Language Zone Community. Your continued use of www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone after changes are posted to the site and sent to the participating schools/college means you agree to be legally bound by these terms as updated and/or amended.
Use of www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone
3. You agree to use www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone only for lawful purposes, and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone. Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
4. Under no circumstances will Cardiff University be liable for any of the following losses or damage (whether such losses where foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): (a) loss of data; (b) loss of revenue or anticipated profits; (c) loss of business; (d) loss of opportunity; (e) loss of goodwill or injury to reputation; (f) losses suffered by third parties; or (g) any indirect, consequential, special or exemplary damages arising from the use of www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone regardless of the form of action.
5. Cardiff University does not warrant that functions contained in www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone content will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that Cardiff University or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs.
6. The names, images and logos identifying Cardiff University, First Campus or third parties and their products and services are subject to copyright, design rights and trade marks of Cardiff University, First Campus or third parties. Nothing contained in these terms shall be construed as conferring by implication, estoppel or otherwise any licence or right to use any trademark, patent, design right or copyright of Cardiff University, First Campus, or any other third party.
Contributions to www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone
7. Where you are invited to submit any contribution to Cardiff University (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio) you agree, by submitting your contribution, to grant Cardiff University a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your contribution worldwide and/or to incorporate your contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your contribution. If you do not want to grant to Cardiff University the rights set out above, please do not submit your contribution to www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone.
8. Further to paragraph 7, by submitting your contribution to Cardiff University, you:
8.1 warrant that your contribution;
8.1.1 is your own original work and that you have the right to make it available to Cardiff University for all the purposes specified above;
8.1.2 is not defamatory; and
8.1.3 does not infringe any law; and
8.2 indemnify Cardiff University against all legal fees, damages and other expenses that may be incurred by Cardiff University as a result of your breach of the above warranty; and
8.3 waive any moral rights in your contribution for the purposes of its submission to and publication on the Cardiff University website and the purposes specified above.
Cardiff University Language Zone Community Rules
9. You agree to use www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone (including Message Boards) in accordance with the following Community Rules. These apply across all Cardiff University community sites and services. You should, however, read the local house rules of the particular site or service you’re using, as there may be some local variations to these Community Rules.
About your posts:
- Contributions must be civil and tasteful
- No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.
- No unlawful or objectionable content: unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.
- If you use multiple logins for the purpose of disrupting the community or annoying other users you may have action taken against your accounts.
- Be patient: users of different ages and abilities may be taking part in the relevant www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone Community.
- No spamming or off-topic material: we don’t allow the submission of the same or very similar contributions many times. Please don't re-submit your contribution to more than one discussion, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
- No advertising
- No spoilers: material which contains plot developments which haven't been transmitted on UK analogue or digital television will be deleted unless submitted in a designated ‘spoilers’ area.
- Contributions containing unlawful or objectionable content in any language will be removed.
- No impersonation
- No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names
- You may not refer to specific URLs in Public Discussion Groups. If you know of a worthy web site relevant to the discussion topic, please send a private Message to your Mentor who is responsible for checking and uploading URLs.
- Deliberate misuse of the complaints facility is not permitted. If you persist in doing this action may be taken against your account.
We advise that you never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example: telephone number, home address or email address), and please do not include postal addresses of any kind. If you have a helpful address to share, inform the host of the relevant Community area using the 'Contact Us' link, and they will promote it if they see fit.
About the law:
- You may not submit any defamatory or illegal material of any nature in www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone. This includes text, graphics, video, programs or audio.
- Contributing material with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act is strictly prohibited.
- You agree to only submit materials which are your own original work. You must not violate, plagiarise, or infringe the rights of third parties including copyright, trade mark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
- The views expressed in www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone Community areas are those of members of the Language Zone Community and are not necessarily those of Cardiff University or First Campus.
If you're under 16:
- Please get a parent’s or guardian’s permission before taking part in any www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone discussion.
- Never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example, telephone number, home address or email address).
If you fail to abide by these Community Rules (and/or any variations in the relevant local house rules) when taking part in a www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone, a letter will be sent to your school informing you why your contribution has been failed or edited. This mail will also include a warning that continuing to break the rules may result in action being taken to exclude you from the community.
If you post or send offensive or inappropriate content anywhere on or to www.cardiff.ac.uk/languagezone or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on Cardiff.ac.uk, and Cardiff University considers such behaviour to be serious and/or repeated, the university may use whatever information that is available to it about you to stop any further such infringements. This may include informing relevant third parties such as your employer, school or email provider about the infringement/s.
Cardiff University reserves the right to delete any contribution, or take action against any account, at any time, for any reason.
10. If there is any conflict between these terms and specific terms appearing elsewhere on Cardiff.ac.uk (including local house rules) then the latter shall prevail.
11. If any of these terms are determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from these terms and the remaining terms shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
12. These terms shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
Public Relations and Communications Division
46 Park Place
Cardiff CF10 3AT