What can KTP offer me at Cardiff University?
KTPs provide you with the potential to:
- Apply knowledge and expertise to important business problems
- Develop business-relevant teaching and research materials
- Identify new research themes and undergraduate and postgraduate projects
- Publish high quality research papers
- Gain a relevant and improved understanding of business requirements and operations
- Impact the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE)
- Lead rewarding and ongoing collaborations with innovative businesses
- Assist strategic change in businesses
- Supervise and act as mentors for postgraduates working on company-based projects
Can I participate?
Academic supervisors are normally expected to be full or part time employees of the knowledge base who are actively involved in teaching activities, however, other members of staff with relevant expertise can also be involved in Partnerships.
What funding is available for a KTP?
There is a standard amount of funding provided to the knowledge base per KTP Associate, which covers Associate employment costs, academic and secretarial support, training, travel and some equipment and consumables. The company will contribute a percentage of the budget depending on its size, with the balance coming from the UK Government or Sponsors.
What types of projects?
Projects can be undertaken in a wide range of areas including: Product design, Manufacturing, Technical innovation, Business processes (including IT and social sciences), Commercial development.
What type of companies?
KTPs are particularly useful for companies that could benefit from knowledge base expertise and offer an alternative option to consultancy or student placements. Most companies participating are small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs) with 5-250 employees. Larger companies can also participate.