Alumnus Tim Hetherington killed in Libyan city of Misrata
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Tim Hetherington
Award-winning photographer and School alumnus Tim Hetherington has been killed while covering the conflict in the Libyan city of Misrata.
He is said to have been killed in a rocket-propelled grenade attack.
A second photojournalist, Chris Hondros, a US Pulitzer nominee, was also killed.
Hetherington had been Oscar-nominated earlier this year as co-creator of the Sundance-winning documentary Restrepo.
He completed his photojournalism training in 1997. David Batty, who graduated in the same year and later worked alongside him at the Big Issue in London, described Tim as the "star student on the photojournalism course".
Speaking this morning, Director of the School's Centre for Journalism Professor Richard Tait said: "Tim Hetherington was a great photo-journalist who put himself in harm's way because he believed passionately in journalism's duty to report the truth even at great personal risk.
"Journalism as a profession is taking far too many casualties, and Tim's integrity, courage and talent will be sadly missed by his many colleagues and admirers.
"Everyone at the School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies was shocked and saddened to hear of the death of one of our most talented and enterprising alumni."
Further details can be found below:
Related Links
Two photojournalists killed in Libyan city of Misrata - bbc.co.uk
Photojournalists Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros killed in Libya - guardian.co.uk
