Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Spalding Club (12th-18th century)

The Club was established in Aberdeen in 1839 by Joseph Robertson and John Stuart and named after the 17th century historian John Spalding. Its purpose was the publication of the historical, genealogical, topographical and literary remains of the North-eastern counties of Scotland.

Amongst the 32 titles (published 1841-1871) in the Library collection are: Diaries of the Lairds of Brodie (1652-1685); Presbytery Book of Strathbogie; Memorials of the Trubles in Scotland; Letters to the Earl of Aberdeen. The texts are mostly in English or Latin with English translations and are largely drawn from the 16th-18th centuries although there are some from as early as the 12th century. See also, the New Spalding Club.