Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Historical Manuscripts Commission (c. 1300?-c. 1900?)

The Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts (widely known as the Historical Manuscripts Commission or HMC) was established under Royal Warrant in 1869 to survey and report on privately owned archival records of general historical interest. Its brief was ‘to make inquiry as to the places in which such Manuscripts and Papers were deposited’, and to report on their contents. It remained in existence until 2003, when it merged with the Public Record Office to form The National Archives.

The Library collection comprises over two hundred volumes, published between ca. 1883-1999. The summaries and extracts published are drawn from archives such as those of the Duke of Portland, the Marquis of Salisbury, the Duke of Somerset and the Welsh manuscripts of Lord Mostyn of Mostyn Hall. Over 600 collections in over 240 volumes are covered. Some reports are online, listed individually on the Library catalogue.