English Place-Name Society (all periods)
The English Place-Name Society was founded in 1923 with the purpose of carrying out a survey of the place‑names of the whole country. The volumes published by the Society provide, county by county, an explanation of the meaning and origin of the place-names (and, for many counties, field-names as well) in each part of England covered so far. The explanations define the source and date of the earliest extant record, and the linguistic, ethnic, historical, geographical and archaeological significance of each place-name both in its immediate context and in a broader view. These volumes provide useful information for the historian, geographer, archaeologist and philologist.
The Library holds c. 85 volumes published from 1924 to date, covering 17 counties (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, Durham, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Surrey, Sussex, and Yorkshire) and including the first volume, published in two parts in 1924, which comprises an Introduction to the Survey of English Place‑Names and The Chief Elements Used in English Place‑Names.