Aberdare Hall student library (19th-20th C.)
Aberdare Hall was a women’s hall of residence for the University, established in 1885, by Lady Aberdare, (wife of the first College President). It was the first women’s hall in Wales and the second in the UK. From its early days, a Library was established for the students’ residential use. Its stock was mainly built up from personal donations of books by students in the Hall. The Library was closed in 2011 when part of the Hall was refurbished. A selection of the earlier stock was retained (modern student textbooks etc. were not retained). This, along with some index cards listing the contents of the Library from the earlier 20th century, is now held in Special Collections. Some of the music related books from the Students Library have been added to the University’s Music Library.
Date range: 19th-20th century
Significance: Significant in Wales
Size: c. 500 vols.
Keywords: Literature, history, students, recreation
Notes: The achive of official papers of the Hall’s Trustees meetings are held by Glamorgan Archives.