Special Collections and Archives reading room
Head of Special Collections and Archives
KeelanP@cardiff.ac.uk 029 2087 5678
HarveyAE@cardiff.ac.uk 029 2087 4911
Mark Barrett, Digitisation Officer
Lisa Webley, Library Assistant
Where are we?
The Arts and Social Studies Library is situated at the junction of Corbett Road, Park Place and Colum Road, and is easily accessible by public transport. Buses 36, 51, 86 and 95 drop off on Park Place, and Cathays station is a five minute walk away. Cathays station is two stops from Cardiff Central; catch any train departing from platform 6.
Opening hours: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Special Collections and Archives is open to all, with proof of identity. Coats and bags must be stored in a locker in the foyer. Lockers are operated using a refundable £1 coin. Only pencils, paper and electronic devices are permitted in the Reading Room. All collections are available for reference use in the Reading Room only, and may not be removed from this area. Materials from other collections can be brought into the Reading Room if required.
Archives are available by appointment only. No copying of archival material is permitted without explicit staff permission. Users of the collections must at all times exercise care in handling the materials issued to them, for which they are responsible until they are returned to staff.
- Physical access to all collections is provided in a comfortable, quiet study environment.
- Printed collections can be searched using LibrarySearch, via dedicated catalogue terminals. Archives can be searched using ArchiveSearch.
- Digital microfilm scanners allow pdf copies to be created from our microfilm collections, at no charge. Documents can be saved to a memory stick, saving both money and paper by eliminating the need for printing. A printing service is available if preferred (charges apply).
- Dedicated exhibition space, which showcases themes and strengths within the collections. All exhibitions are free and open to the public.
- Research charts mapping the cross-disciplinary research potential of our library and archive collections.
- Wifi access via Eduroam.
- A self-service photocopying and digital scanning service is available, at the discretion of staff, who will take into account the condition of the original. Reading room photography is permitted on completion of a copyright declaration form.
- Seminar and meeting room provision for up to 25, with audio-visual display facilities.
- Coffee and snack machines are available onsite, with cafes and shops a short walk from the library
- Viewing/listening facilities for video/sound recordings
- Dedicated space for consulting maps/outsize documents
- Information and advice from professionally trained library and archive staff
- Printed catalogues and guides
An enquiry service is available, to help save time in searching for information within both Special Collections and Archives and wider library and archive information sources. Qualified library and archival staff are able to assist with readers' enquiries, in person, by phone, post, or email. Charges may apply for extensive research requests.
Digital copies of our collections can be requested using our order form. Forms must be completed and returned, along with the relevant copyright declaration: