Guest Wireless - CU-Guest-WiFi
The guest wireless access service (CU-Guest-Wi-Fi) is a restricted service which is intended to provide access from a laptop or mobile device to public web pages and web-based email only; other services and programs may not work.
Please read the service definition carefully to ensure that you understand the limitations of the service provided
- CU-Guest-WiFi is a restricted service which is intended to provide access to public web pages and web-based e-mail only. Other services and programs may not work.
- Users of the CU-Guest-WiFi service must have a Cardiff University sponsor before access can be given
- There is no requirement for any laptop or mobile device to be checked, configured or registered for use on the service.
- Usage of CU-Guest-WiFi is entirely at the risk of the account holder. As such, we strongly recommend that the laptop has up-to-date anti-virus and all security updates applied before using the service.
- Accounts will be enabled for a fixed period at the time they are created, to be determined by the administrator of the account. The period can be set at one day or seven days, with the usage period initiating at first login.
- Information Services (INSRV) will monitor the use of these accounts in Schools/Directorates to ensure that they are only used for “invited guests” (see Who is eligible to use CU-Guest-WiFi, below)
- Use of the Cardiff University Wireless Network is subject to Information Services Regulations.
- In accordance with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers (RIP) Act 2000, the University may routinely monitor information systems to assure the continued integrity and security of the University's systems and users' compliance with the law. Disclosure of the content of messages and other data will only be undertaken with the specific authorisation of the Vice-Chancellor, or nominee, on the evidence of good cause.
- Accounts unused after 28 days following the creation date will be deleted
- A login screen will clearly set out the entitlements of the guest user and the terms of usage of the account
- The service will NOT be Shibboleth-enabled, and nor will it provide Single-Sign-On via the Portal.
- Account holders are not permitted to access or attempt to access any electronic resources for which Cardiff University holds a license.
- The accounts will not enable a user to log on to a University-imaged machine
- This service uses a Cardiff University IP address.
Who is eligible to use CU-Guest-WiFi?
A number of categories of potential users have been identified, and these are listed below, along with their current entitlements. These will be kept under review, and additional categories may be identified in the future.
- Delegates at conferences organised by members of Cardiff University in line with Cardiff University's publicly funded remit - Yes, for the duration of the conference, unless this is longer than one week
- Delegates at externally-organised conferences which have no connection with Cardiff University's publicly funded remit – No.
- Members of commercial organisations and public bodies in the University by invitation – Yes, for the duration of the invitation, unless this is longer than one week
- Alumni – Not yet; specific provisions may be enacted in the future
- Prospective students – No – once students enrol (online), their normal network account will be enabled. Note that prospective students can elect to enrol early.
- Members of educational institutions that have signed up to the eduroam service – No, unless such members encounter a problem accessing eduroam from Cardiff University
- Visitors to the University for more than one week – No. Such visitors should apply to their home School/Directorate for alternative accounts.
- Walk-in users – No.
|Cardiff University Staff|
|YES||For Laptop registration only|
|Cardiff University Students|
|YES||For Laptop registration only|
|Sponsored Academic Visitors*||NO||YES **||YES|
|Sponsored Non-Academic Visitors*||NO||NO||YES|
|Conference Visitor||Conference Type||CU-WiFi||eduroam||CU-Guest-WiFi|
|Academic Visitor*||Any||NO||YES **||YES|
* Guest wireless accounts are only appropriate for users requiring access for less than 7 days. If you need access for longer than 7 days, please contact your local computing representative or conference organiser
Where to obtain a username and password
Conference delegates – Please contact your conference organiser.
Sponsored guests – Please contact your Cardiff University sponsor within the School or Division you are visiting.
If you are unable to contact, or are unsure of your Guest Wireless Administrator, please contact the Information Services IT Service Desk, insrvConnect
Note: Once accounts are created, they should be usable instantly.
CU-Guest Coupons -Registering laptops for eduroam
Whilst on campus you can use the CU-Guest-Wi-Fi service to register your laptop and configure the eduroam service. A temporary (3 hour) CU-Guest-Wi-Fi username and password along with instructions for registering your laptop for the wireless service via Cardiff Campus Manager can be requested at:
- The Julian Hodge Study Centre on Colum Drive
- Heath and Cathays site libraries
- The IT Clinic at the Student Union, 1st Floor, Monday-Friday 1-3 during term time