Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Wireless: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)



Visitor wireless service


General FAQs


Can I plug in additional network equipment to use on the Cardiff University network?

Networking equipment (such as a router or repeater) is not permitted on campus. Attempted use of such equipment is prohibited and the device will be blocked. Attempting use of such equipment can also have a detrimental effect on wireless services for other students.


Can I use wireless printing in University Residences?

No. If a user were to set up a wireless point for printing this printer would become visible through the network to all of the other students in their hall, and adversely impact upon the wireless service that Cardiff University offers to students.

The user can connect to the printer using a cable, either by connecting it to the outlet in their room - if it supports Ethernet connectivity - or through USB, if their device is a laptop with a suitable USB port.  


Will I be able to access the networked printers from my wireless laptop?

The webPrint wireless printing service enables users of the networked chargeable printing service to send print jobs from their laptop or PC to printers in various locations across the University. Please see the webPrint web pages for further information.


I am connected to the wireless network but I am unable to access the internet. What should I do?

Only 'eduroam', 'CU-Wireless' and 'CU-Visitor' wireless networks are operated and maintained by University IT. Do not try to connect to any other network unless you have been authorised to do so by the person responsible for that wireless network.

For further assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk or visit the IT Clinic.


I have a games console that I wish to connect to the network. How do I do this?

Please contact the Cardiff Gaming Society.


Back to top




Should I be concerned about security?

Yes. Please refer to the Computer Security and Virus Protection web pages for information and guidance on securing your laptop or PC with anti-virus software and firewalls.


Are there any restricted sites?

A number of Bittorrent websites, aimed solely at the sharing of copyrighted material, are blocked from the network.  These sites should have no legitimate access requirements.  

If you require access to restricted sites for legitimate academic investigation, please contact the IT Service Desk.


Back to top 


Visitor Wireless service


Do I need to register my device to use Visitor Wireless?

You will need a Visitor Wireless username and password to authenticate onto the network. These can be obtained from your conference organiser or your Local Computing Representative.



Can I change my Visitor Wireless password?

You cannot change your Visitor Wireless access password. However, your Local Computing Representative does have this ability and requests can be forwarded to them.



How long will my Visitor Wireless registration last?

Visitor Wireless accounts are only appropriate for users requiring access for fewer than fourteen days. If you need access for longer than fourteen days, please contact your Local Computing Representative or conference organiser.



My university or organisation is part of the eduroam federation, but I cannot connect. What should I do?

To access eduroam, you will need a username and password from your participating university or organisation.

If you have any problems using the eduroam service, please contact your home institution.

Back to top


If your question isn't answered by these FAQs, please contact the IT Service Desk:

How to contact the IT Service Desk

You can contact the IT Service Desk by telephone, email, or in person.

To contact by telephone: +44 (0)29 208 74487

To contact by email: