Connecting to the Wireless Network Service
To connect to Cardiff University's Wireless Service, students and staff must register their laptop or wireless device with Information Services (CU-Guest-Wi-Fi users do not need to register).
Once registered, use the downloads and PDF files which give instructions for connecting your device to the wireless network.
From September 2012 Residents connecting to RESLAN will be able to register and configure their wireless computers for eduroam through the CU-Setup SSID
Presently all mobile phones, iPads and tablet devices need to be registered manually. Please complete a wireless registration form and provide the Wi-Fi address of your device. Staff will be happy to assist you with this process at:
- Libraries on Cathays and Heath Park Campuses
- The Julian Hodge Study Centre on Colum Drive
- The IT Clinic at the Student Union during term time 1-3pm Monday-Friday.
Downloads may be needed to facilitate access the eduroam network depending on your device and operating system.
Windows 7, Vista and XP automatic setup
eduroam is an 802.1x Secured connection and the preferred wireless service. Please note that due to licensing restrictions you will need your Cardiff University username and password to download the file.
- Cardiff Secure W2 Software for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 This is an automatic setup tool for eduroam. When running automatic setup the Domain box should be left blank.
- eduroam Setup for Windows (XP, Vista & 7) [200.3 Kb]
Windows 7, Vista and XP manual setup
The following guides detail the manual eduroam setup for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Please use these if you are unable to run the SecureW2 automatic setup tool for eduroam or if you would prefer to configure this connection manually.
- Windows Vista-Manual setup guide for eduroam [794.8 Kb]
Mac OSX Lion V10.7 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion V10.8 automatic setup
Mac OSX Leopard V10.5 and Snow Leopard V10.6 manual setup
These PDF guides detail the manual setup for eduroam OSX Leopard and Snow Leopard. There is no automated tool for this process
Mac OSX Tiger V10.4 automatic setup
- The eduroam script for OSX Tiger Automatic eduroam installer for OSX Tiger.
iphone, ipod touch and ipad automatic setup
- The eduroam profile for iphone, ipod touch and ipad This profile will automatically configure your iphone, ipod touch and ipad for eduroam connection. Username and password required.
iPhone, iPod touch and iPad manual setup
It is possible to manually configure your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad for eduroam if you are unable to use the profile above. The following instructions were created using an iPhone but the configuration process is the same for iPod Touch and iPad.
- Connecting to eduroam on an Android Phone [405.8 Kb]
These Android instructions were created on Android version 2.2.1 FROYO so may differ very slightly from other versions of Android such as GINGERBREAD, ICECREAM SANDWICH and JELLYBEAN.
These are some examples of Android devices:
- The Google Nexus 7
- Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Versus Touchpad 7
- Gemini Joy TAB
- Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet
Generic eduroam settings for unsupported devices
The generic settings below will allow you to configure suitable wireless devices to connect to the eduroam secure wireless network
Not all the configuration settings will be available on all devices. If you can not configure any of these settings it is unlikely your wireless device is capable of connecting to the eduroam wireless network.
|Password||<Your Cardiff University Password>|
|Certificates||UTN-UserFirst-Hardware, AddTrust External CA Root, Terena|
Windows 8 (Unsupported)
Cardiff SecureW2 software for Windows 8 This is an automatic setup tool for eduroam. When running automatic setup the Domain box should be left blank.
This is the simplest form of wireless login and should only be used if your device is not capable of connecting to the eduroam service.
Once registered for the Cardiff wireless service, CU-WiFi can be connected to easily with your usual Cardiff University Username and password. Please see the following PDF files:
- Connecting to CU-WiFi Standard on Windows 7 [187.4 Kb]
- Windows Vista - Setup on CU-WiFi SSID [425.8 Kb]
- Windows XP - Setup on CU-WiFi SSID [746.9 Kb]