Connecting to the Wireless Network Service
The 'eduroam-setup' option from your wireless network list provides a simple and quick way to configure your device for eduroam.
Further information for students about connecting to eduroam using 'eduroam-setup'
Further information for staff about connecting to eduroam using 'eduroam-setup'
If you are unable to see this wireless network option, please refer to the appropriate guidance below to help you connect to eduroam.
- Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP
- Mac (OSX Lion, OSX Mountain Lion, OSX Leopard, OSX Snow Leopard, OSX Tiger)
- iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
- Generic eduroam settings for unsupported devices
Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP
- Cardiff SecureW2 software for Windows 8 This is an automatic setup tool for eduroam. When running automatic setup the Domain box should be left blank.
Windows 7, Vista and XP automatic setup
eduroam is an 802.1x Secured connection and the preferred wireless service. Please note that due to licensing restrictions you will need your Cardiff University username and password to download the file.
- Cardiff Secure W2 Software for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 This is an automatic setup tool for eduroam. When running automatic setup the Domain box should be left blank.
- eduroam Setup for Windows (XP, Vista & 7) [200.3 Kb]
Windows 7, Vista and XP manual setup
The following guides detail the manual eduroam setup for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Please use these if you are unable to run the SecureW2 automatic setup tool for eduroam or if you would prefer to configure this connection manually.
- Windows Vista-Manual setup guide for eduroam [794.8 Kb]
Mac OSX Lion V10.7 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion V10.8 automatic setup
Mac OSX Leopard V10.5 and Snow Leopard V10.6 manual setup
These PDF guides detail the manual setup for eduroam OSX Leopard and Snow Leopard. There is no automated tool for this process
Mac OSX Tiger V10.4 automatic setup
- The eduroam script for OSX Tiger Automatic eduroam installer for OSX Tiger.
iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
iPhone, iPod touch and iPad automatic setup
- The eduroam profile for iphone, ipod touch and ipad This profile will automatically configure your iphone, ipod touch and ipad for eduroam connection. Username and password required.
iPhone, iPod touch and iPad manual setup
It is possible to manually configure your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad for eduroam if you are unable to use the profile above. The following instructions were created using an iPhone but the configuration process is the same for iPod Touch and iPad.
- Connecting to eduroam on an Android Phone [405.8 Kb]
These Android instructions were created on Android version 2.2.1 FROYO so may differ very slightly from other versions of Android such as GINGERBREAD, ICECREAM SANDWICH and JELLYBEAN.
These are some examples of Android devices:
- The Google Nexus 7
- Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Versus Touchpad 7
- Gemini Joy TAB
- Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet
Generic eduroam settings for unsupported devices
The generic settings below will allow you to configure suitable wireless devices to connect to the eduroam secure wireless network
Not all the configuration settings will be available on all devices. If you can not configure any of these settings it is unlikely your wireless device is capable of connecting to the eduroam wireless network.
|Password||<Your Cardiff University Password>|
|Certificates||UTN-UserFirst-Hardware, AddTrust External CA Root, Terena|
There is a bug in Ubuntu 13.04 and Linux Mint 15, which prevents eduroam from working.
The workaround seems to be:
sudo perl -i -pe 's/system-ca-certs=true\n//' /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/eduroam
sudo service network-manager restart
The bug seems to be that every time you make a change in the Network Manager, it inserts the line system-ca-certs=true. So every time you make a Network Manager change, you have to execute the above commands.