Connecting to the Network from District General Hospital Libraries
An average of two "Wyse Terminals" and one shared printer are located within each district general hospital library site around Wales. See the list of locations and contacts.
A terminal will allow you to log-in to the Cardiff University network only. Terminals do not have CD or floppy disk drives so you will need to save any work to your H:\ space.
Using the Wyse terminal you will be able to log-in securely to the Cardiff University network to access the range of available services.
Using the Wyse Terminal
Access to the system is much the same as logging on to the network using a university computer.
- Start the terminal by pressing the power button on the front underneath the screen (older terminals with 'Wyse Winterm' logo on the front) or the button on the top just behind the monitor (newer terminals).
- At the login screen type in your username and password:
You will then gain access to the Novell-delivered Applications launcher with applications grouped into folders including:
- Internet — Internet Explorer providing journal access
- Email — Accessed via the Cardiff Portal in Internet Explorer
- MS Office 2010 Applications — Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access
- Accessories — Windows Explorer, Acrobat Reader, NotePad
- Bibliography — Endnote
- Graphical — Paint Shop Pro
- Statistical — SPSS
Printing to the shared printer is via a small switch box. Please save your work and ensure that you press the correct button on the switch box before attempting to print.
To log-out go to the Start button and shut down. You are given the choice of shutting down the terminal or just logging out, which will leave the terminal back at the login screen for the next user.
If you are left-handed, pressing Ctrl-Alt-End will take you to a screen from which you will be able to access the control panel and change the mouse settings. When you exit the control panel, click on Connect to get back to where you were. Note: this only works on the older type of all-in-one terminals with the 'Wyse Winterm' logo on the front.
There is list of Frequently Asked Questions which gives advice on many common queries about using the Wyse terminals.