Email is an essential component of university life. It is used by staff and students to exchange information both internally and externally. These pages provide information and advice on a range of email topics, including:
- Email software used at Cardiff University
- Email Regulations and Guidelines
- Recognising malicious and anti-social email
- Viewing full email headers
- Setting up a spam filter in CardiffMail
- Configuring an IMAP mail client in CardiffMail (PDF)
- Mailing lists
Security and virus good practice - tips on how to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of phishing or virus attacks.
Cardiff email software
Email is sent and received using software called an email client. The client allows mail to be sent, read, filed, printed and otherwise manipulated through a graphical interface.
A new email and calendaring service is being introduced for Cardiff University staff and students:
The email services being replaced are:
- GroupWise - for research postgraduates and staff
Web access to Cardiff email accounts
You can also access your Cardiff email account via a standard web browser.
- Access CardiffMail Web – web access to CardiffMail
Regulations and guidelines
All use of email within Cardiff University and from Cardiff University email addresses is subject to the Information Services Regulations. Please also make sure that you read the supplementary Guidelines on the Use of Email. Both documents are available here in PDF format.