Protecting Computers Running Microsoft Windows
Microsoft Windows, due to its popularity, is unfortunately the most frequently targeted operating system in terms of Virus, Spyware, Adware or hacker attacks. (see the Terminology web page for explanations of these terms).
It is particularly important you take a few simple steps to secure a Windows computer.
In general terms, the minimum steps required are:
- Configure Windows to automatically receive Microsoft Security Updates
- Use anti-virus software and keep it updated
- Install a firewall (campus systems are protected by the University perimeter firewall, home or laptop systems should have a firewall product enabled)
- Consider using a Spyware/Adware detection and removal product
For specific advice, select a category that best describes the computer from the links below:
- University owned Windows computer (e.g. departmental computer)
- Non University owned Windows computer (e.g. computer at home)