Microsoft Excel: Core Skills
This one-day introductory course offers training for anyone new to using Excel worksheets and workbooks. As such, if you are already familiar with use of Excel 2003 or Excel 2007 you will find the normal use of the Office 2010 version is similar and so this course may cover a lot of what you already know. For anyone who hasn’t used a worksheet before this course will take you from scratch up to the point where you can build a worksheet and present numerical information using Excel 2010.
With worksheets commonly used as everyday office tools it is important to understand how information should best be stored and how data can be analysed using the functionality built into Microsoft Excel.
This course looks at the fundamental process of creating standalone worksheets and the simple analysis of data as well as linking data held on multiple worksheets within a workbook. Time will be spent dealing with calculations and also looking at how suitable formatting can be applied to produce a printable report.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- create and save a workbook consisting of multiple worksheets.
- select the relevant parts of a worksheet and understand how these can be used when working with data.
- correctly reference data held in cells on a worksheet to perform arithmetic calculations, using both standard operators and in-built functions, to process data held in your workbooks.
- apply formatting to enhance the layout and appearance of text and numbers stored on a worksheet.
- customise the way in which worksheets and workbooks can be printed.
You must be familiar with the Microsoft Office 2010 interface and the use of the mouse and keyboard.
2 x half-day (3 hours) sessions - length of course 6 hours.
£95 for members of staff and students of Cardiff University.
£125 for non-profit making organisations, e.g. other universities, charities, and government bodies, including Cardiff and Vale University Health Board.
£150 for commercial organisations (profit-making) wishing to book anyone onto this course.