Electronic Journals for Law
- UK Law Journals
- Finding references to legal journal articles
- US and International Law Journals
UK and EU related Electronic Law Journals
Finding references to legal journal articles by topic
The Legal Journals Index and Index to Articles Related to Law index the contents of hundreds of law journals and are the most efficient way of finding relevant on your topic articles, although they will not necessarily provide links to the full text of the articles.
Please note that the contents of non US and International journals can also be searched using the relevant group sources on Lexis®Library and Westlaw UK or in respect of HeinOnline the complete journal holdings. See US and International Law Journals below for details.
Legal Journals Index
The Legal Journals Index (LJI), available on Westlaw UK is an index of UK and EU related law journals from 1986 onwards which covers some 430 journals and is the best place to start when you are looking for legal journal articles on a particular topic. However, it is important to realise that the LJI is is merely an index of journal articles (references and abstracts only, not the full text), and direct links from the LJI to the full text of an article will only be provided when the full-text of an article is held on Westlaw UK.
To access the search screen for the Legal Journals Index, from the home page screen select Journals from the links at the top of the screen, then click on the Legal Journals Index (LJI) link. Click on Advanced Search to access additional fields to enable a more detailed search. The results of a LJI search will be listed with the most recent article first. Each result will include brief details of the article with a Legal Journals Index Abstract link to a brief digest of the article and, if available on Westlaw UK, a Full Text Article link to the complete journal article.
If the article is not available in full text on Westlaw UK use the information found from the Legal Journals Index Abstract to to search LibrarySearch and the A-I and J-Z lists of UK and EU related Electronic Law Journals at Cardiff University to find out if the journal is available in either print or electronic format elsewhere at Cardiff University.
Index to Articles Related to Law
The Index to Periodical Articles Related to Law (1958-2007) which is held on HeinOnline is a U.S. biased index which indexes substantial English language law-related articles not included in law journals or any periodicals that are directly law-related.
For further information on electronic law journals contact a member of staff from the Law Library.
US and International Law Journals
To discover if Cardiff University has access to a specific US or International law journal:
- Use LibrarySearch to search for both electronic and printed journals.
- Searching the Cardiff University electronic journals portal.
- Lexis®Library - To find and search the contents of a particular US or International Law journal on Lexis®Library at main screen click on the ‘Sources’ tab, then ‘Keyword’. Enter the title of the journal in the enter the 'Keyword' field then click on 'Find Sources'. From the results list of categories of material, click on relevant title then click ‘OK – Continue’ to open a relevant search screen.
Lexis®Library also enables searching of group files of multiple journal titles. For example, access to over 800 full text journals, reviews and Bar Association materials from the United States via the ‘Law Reviews, CLE, Legal Journals & Periodicals, Combined’ group file which can be accessed by searching for the group file name using the ‘Find a source’ box on the LexisLibrary Homepage.
- Westlaw UK - To find and search the contents of a particular US of International Law journal on Westlaw UK select 'Westlaw International' from the 'Services' drop-down menu at the top right of screen, click on 'Directory' then click on 'All Westlaw Databases'. Enter the title of the journal in the 'Search the Westlaw Directory' then click 'Search'. From the results list click on the relevant title to open the relevant search screen.
Westlaw also enables the searching of libraries of multiple journal titles. For example, Westlaw's 'World Journals' library enables users to search across hundreds of US and International journals. To access the 'World Journals' library screen, from Westlaw UK select 'Westlaw International' from the 'Services' drop-down menu at the top right of screen. For more detailed search options click on 'Show Advanced Options'.
- HeinOnline - for information on how to search and browse the journal holdings of HeinOnline see the HeinOnline guide.
For further information on accessing and searching US and International Law journals contact a member of staff from the Law Library.