Our physical presence
As part of our innovative approach to addressing societal problems, our ambition is to provide a home for interdisciplinary research and to act as a magnet for national and international research leaders.
The world's first Social Science Research Park (SPARK) will be a unique facility which will:
- foster a collaborative learning and working environment for creating, sharing and applying new knowledge founded on collaboration and co-production across sectors, disciplines, regions and nations
- create purpose-built facilities to support inter-disciplinarity and the co-production of knowledge
- strengthen the Welsh economy through increasing the role of research and development, boosting entrepreneurship and innovation across all sectors, and creating new employment opportunities in the private and third sectors
- provide a resource for engaging the University’s stakeholders and the public, promoting the connectedness of the University with its communities and advancing the public’s understanding of science
- increase capacity for postgraduate research opportunities that embrace inter-disciplinarity and collaborative research activity
- establish the University, Cardiff and Wales as international leaders in the design, development and delivery of innovative, impactful, evidence-based social science research.
SPARK will have porous boundaries, acting as a hub for social science research across the University, hosting visitors and external research partners and holding events that draw people in. We are building a creative space to support interdisciplinary research and impact, bringing together University researchers, external collaborators, graduate start-ups, staff spin-outs and enterprise.
Co-locating several of the University’s thriving social science-led research centres whose activity spans multiple disciplines and for whom being problem-focused is everyday practice, alongside our ESRC Doctoral Training Partnership, allows us to build on the strength of our existing social science research base – a strong foundation for future innovation.