Research Related Development
Child Protection Training for Researchers
About This Course
This is an introductory session for all academic staff who come in contact with children and young people in some capacity through their research role. The course covers responsibilities under child welfare legislation and Cardiff University's Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults policy linked to key guidance. It will focus on identifying signs of abuse and placing these in context of what constitutes significant harm to children and young people. The course will provide an opportunity to explore areas of potential conflict when looking at issues of neutrality, consent and confidentiality for the researcher.
Who Should Take This Course?
This course should prove to be of particular interest to those who:
- Are undertaking research directly with children
- Are undertaking research with adults who are parents of dependent children
- Who are undertaking research with groups of adults and children
- Are going into family homes as a result of their research
- Are going into settings where there are children e.g. schools, hospitals, daycare provision
On completion of this course, it is expected that learners will be able to:
- Understand the key legislation and related guidance for child protection in Wales
- Recognise the context, signs and symptoms of child abuse and neglect
- Apply good practice when dealing with concerns and disclosures about abuse.
- Understand professional abuse and the importance of whilstle blowing
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of professionals in other agencies working in child protection.
- Identify and use effective record keeping, information sharing and confidentiality in relation to child protection and the referral process.
23 November 2015
11th Floor, McKenzie House, 30-36 Newport Road, Cardiff, CF24 0DE
12:30 - 16:00
To book a place on this date please submit your booking request via Core Portal*
*Please note you will need to inform your line manager of your training request so that they can authorise it in the Core Portal. No automated email will be sent notifying them of pending training requests.
Target Audience: RS