Emeritus Professor Procedure
Procedure For The Conferment Of The Title Emeritus/Emerita
Professors, and such other members of senior staff as Council may, from time to time, determine, who retire from active University work, for whatever reason and at whatever age, are deemed eligible for the title Emeritus/Emerita provided that:
• they do not take up settled employment at another university or higher education institution and;
• they are not eligible, by virtue of the nature of their continued contribution to the work of the relevant School or the University.
The title shall not carry with it any stipend or specific duties, but does carry the enjoyment of all the usual courtesies.
Persons holding the title of Professor Emeritus/Emerita may be eligible to act, exceptionally, as internal members of Appointing Committees for Personal Chairs and Readerships and other academic appointments, if, by virtue of their pre-eminence in the field or profound knowledge of the specific area(s) of scholarship indicated in a particular case, they are in a position to provide the appropriate level of expert advice.
Where retired professors continue to publish their work post-retirement and that such activity is clearly focussed in the University, this may be allowed as a contribution to the research activity of the School and may, with the individual’s permission, be used as such in assessment exercises.
3. Process and Approval
• The HR Directorate will administer the procedure and prepare cases in line with the criteria for eligibility.
• The Vice Chancellor will be asked to take Chair’s action in his capacity as Chair of the Human Resources Committee and decisions will be reported to the Human Resources Committee, Senate and Council.
• The Human Resources Directorate will confirm the decision to the individual and the Head of School.