Practical Leadership for University Management
Find out about the Practical Leadership for University Management programme from those who've done it.
In the News
The latest on Leadership and Management Development at Cardiff.
This programme is under review and we will therefore not advertise new dates for it until the review is complete. We anticipate that we will run the programme from January 2016. You can register your interest in attending a leadership programme by contacting Staff Development at email@example.com
The programme is appropriate for both academic and administrative staff who have leadership / management roles. It will explicitly encourage cross-disciplinary working and a supportive network of University managers and leaders at all levels.
- Offers staff with leadership and management roles an opportunity to learn through attending 6 days face-to-face training plus and a presentation ceremony, spread over a 10 month period whilst applying the learning continuously in the workplace, supported by peer groups, a mentor, a programme co-ordinator and online resources.
- Offers participants a learning opportunity that will enhance their practical skills; improve their confidence and enlarge their support network of peers in similar roles across the University.
- Offers Schools and Directorates a programme, to improve the quality of management of key projects, processes and people.
- Offers the University an opportunity to develop leaders to meet future challenges, support change and encourage innovation.
Who should attend this Programme:
Staff appointed to a management role with significant responsibilities for leading people, managing resources, budgets and projects. It is suitable for both staff who have been in such roles for some time and those who are newly appointed to the responsibilities.
Key Learning Outcomes:
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the strengths of their own leadership style to improve their ability to lead and motivate as well as identifying areas for further personal development.
- Apply relevant leadership and management theories and practice to their own situations.
- Communicate effectively, manage performance and motivate staff.
- Improve their knowledge about and ability to lead change situations.
- Better manage processes, resources and projects in practical ways consistent with Cardiff University’s strategic aims
- Review and plan their own continuing leadership & management development.
Successful completion of the programme results in an endorsed award accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
Further Details and to Apply
Please find below a Programme Outline providing further details of the programmes content along with dates of forthcoming programmes and an application form. To discuss the programme in further detail please contact the Staff Development Team.