Accessing Archives: Visit to Glamorgan Record Office
The aim of this event is to give researchers practical experience in using archive material, and information on how to get the best out of a visit to Glamorgan Archives.
- have the registration process demonstrated and its function explained;
- have the searchroom rules explained and justified;
- have an introduction to the types of documents held at Glamorgan Archives;
- use the finding aids to complete order forms for documents;
- tour the strongrooms to see where the documents are held;
- find out how the documents are catalogued by Archivists;
- receive instruction from the Conservator on correct handling of documents and the use of book weights and rests;
- discuss with staff the best way to frame an enquiry and how responses are formulated.
A tour of the Conservation Studio and its related areas will be included to demonstrate the work involved in preserving the Collection.
A map and full travel details are available on the Glamorgan Archives website www.glamarchives.gov.uk but the number 1 bus leaves from Cardiff Central Bus Station twice an hour and the nearest train stations are Ninian Park and Grangetown.
24 March 2014
Glamorgan Archives, Clos Park Morgannwg, Leckwith
14:00 - 16:00
Target Group: RS & PGR