Accessing Archives: Visit to Glamorgan Archives
The aim of this event is to give researchers practical experience in using archive material, and information on how to get the best out of a visit to Glamorgan Archives.
- have the registration process demonstrated and its function explained;
- have the searchroom rules explained and justified;
- have an introduction to the types of documents held at Glamorgan Archives;
- explore the finding aids and order forms for documents
- use the finding aids to complete order forms for documents;
- tour the strongrooms to see where the documents are held;
- find out how the documents are catalogued by Archivists;
- discover more about conservation at the Archives including the correct handling of documents and the use of book weights and rests;
- discuss with staff the best way to frame an enquiry and how responses are formulated.
PLEASE NOTE: The Glamorgan Records Office run tours on the third Wednesday of the month. The next ones are 14.30 on 20 May and 17 June - To book email GlamRO@Cardiff.Gov.uk
A map and full travel details are available on the Glamorgan Archives website www.glamarchives.gov.uk but the number 1 bus leaves from Cardiff Central Bus Station twice an hour and the nearest train stations are Ninian Park and Grangetown.
Places on this workshop are open to staff members on a Research only contract, other staff groups are welcome to apply for a place and will be entered onto a reserve list, in the event of a place becoming vacant a week prior to the session commencing staff members will be offered a place. For further guidance please email ResearcherDevelopment@cardiff.ac.uk
Dates to be confirmed - To register yourself on the waiting list please submit your request via Core Portal*
*Please note you will need to inform your line manager/principal investigator of your training request so that they can authorise it in the Core Portal. No automated email will be sent notifying them of pending training requests.
Target Group: RS & PGR